[Development] CMake && QtCreator cross-compilation for ARM fails

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 11:42:27 CET 2018

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 at 12:27, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
Hi Kevin,
> > PS: WTF? Why the Qt's management choosed the CMake's instead of QBS?
>
> Because CMake is a widespread tool written in C++/STL

Some people are scared of the wolf, i'm scared of the sheepple.

> (so, unlike QBS, it
> does not depend on Qt, which would mean a circular dependency when building
> Qt),

qmake has this problem, yet it's been packaged for 10+ years without a problem.

> widely packaged for GNU/Linux distributions, and with binaries for
> Windows and macOS shipped by CMake upstream (Kitware) themselves. It has a
> live upstream at Kitware, so Qt does not have to maintain it. And it is
> already widely used in the Qt and KDE community.

What a bunch of cheap free statements, w/o proper comparison.

> QBS, on the other hand, is a custom tool, in practice only used by Qt and a
> few Qt-using projects (I know the aim is to support also non-Qt projects,
> but this is not really used in the wild), which requires constant
> maintenance effort from the Qt project.

Can you point me to something that shows the Qt "project" contributing
to the Qt "company" on that very particular topic?
The Qt Company has been looking for "employees" to work on Qbs for
month before dropping it, apparently nobody responded, or something...

> >  From my point of view, the CMake it is a crap...
>
> CMake is not a "crap", it is a powerful tool, almost as easy to use as
> QMake, but a lot more flexible and powerful.

Cmake is crap, it is a macro based language, like it's good to be back
in the 80's.
It has no semantic, and no concept apart form 'macro', the syntax
sucks, big time, every thing is just 'expression', read that one:
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/manual/cmake-generator-expressions.7.html#output-expressions
And read that again and again, until you brain says: 'Actually, CMake
is "crap"!'

> > I know, that I'm not a CMake expert, but Why I need to spent a lot time
> > to make the CMake working wich an unknown result,
> > instead of just using QBS? Cross-compilation with QBS works
> > immediatelly, but with CMake sucks!
>
> Once you have the cross toolchain configured properly, which is a one-time
> setup effort, CMake will just work, too.

Oh yeah! Unless you hit some bugs, like, CMake-based cross-compilation
doesn't actually exists (yet) on Windows:
https://github.com/Kitware/CMake/commit/5f0f84c7e0630d7b8190c18badd5a68e2dd08ff7

I'm telling you: with CMake, it's 1988 Christmas, right now!

Chris.