[Development] QTBUG-61258 and Qt3D status

Massimo Callegari massimocallegari at yahoo.it
Fri Dec 14 14:07:45 CET 2018

Hi devs,I hate to write these emails, but Jira and Gerrit don't really work for me. (and at this point I suspect I definitely have BAD luck)
The question this time is: what's the deal with Qt3D ?Since a year or so, submitting Qt3D issues to Jira or even contributing on Gerrit is like writing to /dev/null. Not even a "please close" is considered.I take all the efforts are going on Qt3D Studio, but what about all the rest ?
Please let me explain what I'm doing.
I run a quite popular open source project called Q Light Controller+ (https://www.qlcplus.org)It's a software to control stage lighting and it's entirely based on Qt. Over the years I adopted more and more Qt modules and (here's my bad luck) I stumbled on every possible Qt bug.At some point I wanted to find a solution to preview in 3D and in real time the lighting simulation.I followed the Qt3D 2.0 developments for years and when I felt it was mature enough, I started to code the 3D preview.Since I don't have the necessary OGL skills for what I needed, I was willing to pay someone to do the job.I contacted KDAB for an official quotation and they didn't even reply to me. So I crowdfunded the feature among my users and paid someone else to develop the 3D techniques.The bright side is that with Qt3D as it is, we've been able to achieve this (https://youtu.be/eI_NfA_vyA0) and this (https://youtu.be/yoQVzYR-NwM).On the other hand, performance sucks and since Qt 5.11, a few regressions started to kick in.The blocking one for me is QTBUG-69721. I invested time and effort to adopt the DAE format, cause it supports named+nested meshes, and it's XML, so it can be tracked on GitHub.Since 5.11, meshes can no longer be picked on macOS, so it means I cannot release any version of my software there. (also cause of broken video playback on core context QTBUG-51064)
So I evaluated glTF, being another nice open format...and found a disaster.The current scene import plugin does not conform to the Khronos 1.0 reference samples. Even the "wine" example bundled in Qt3D doesn't work!So basically Qt is bundling a nearly useless feature.Plus, Blender 2.80 beta has started to roll, and it finally supports native export to glTF....2.0....not supported by Qt3D.So I spent a few days and got preliminary glTF 2.0 support. With PBR materials it looks pretty awesome! (see screenshots in QTBUG-61258)I submitted my code to Gerrit (https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/247080/) and invited as many reviewers as possible.Almost 2 weeks passed and I got ZERO comments/reviews by any Qt Company/KDAB developer.I mean, don't you want it? Not even in Qt3D Studio?
This is very discouraging for developers like me who spend their time trying to improve Qt.If this attitude keeps going, I will end up not contributing at all in the future, and I suppose I'm not alone on this.
So, once again, what's the deal with Qt3D?
Please explain, cause to me it looks in a quite abandoned state right now. (management-wise speaking)Thanks,Massimo