[Development] CMake && QtCreator cross-compilation for ARM fails

Maximilian Hrabowski maximilian.hrabowski at clausmark.com
Fri Dec 14 17:10:08 CET 2018

On 13. Dec 2018, at 13:02, Denis Shienkov <denis.shienkov at gmail.com<mailto:denis.shienkov at gmail.com>> wrote:

Where is CMake advantages?

Actually that is the question i’d like to ask all the time and no one can tell me.

In June we started to migrate a larger project from qmake which uses a lot of code generators. Since we haven’t been sure whether to use qbs or cmake we started a student project to evaluate both. A person without prior knowledge (i didn’t want a biased person) of cmake and qbs got the task to migrate some modules that were supposed to cover all different use cases. The result of this evaluation was as follows (statements are as objective as possible):

- in the beginning for the simple stuff cmake seemed to be easier and faster to use, after a while (about 2-3 days) this opinion shifted to qbs and did not shift back
- the cmake syntax is more difficult to learn and to read and there was seen no improvement to the qmake syntax
- once you understand the basic concept of qbs, it is very easy to use and to extend
- integrating code generators with real dependency tracking is very difficult with cmake (we could get it to work properly) and works very well with qbs (since qbs does not rely on make)
- when dealing with the tough problems...
- with cmake, it seemed there are always a lot of solutions found when searching properly but it seemed that everybody suggested a different way to solve the problem and no way could solve the problem entirely. So the huge community is an advantage but still did not help
- with qbs we could solve every problem on our own in reasonable time (at least so far and we’re nearly done)

In the end qbs was even or better than cmake in nearly every criteria we’ve based our decision on. The only criteria where cmake bet qbs was the large user community.

So at least for now we stick to the wolf…

Cheers,

Maxim