[Development] Build system for Qt 6

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Dec 15 13:24:57 CET 2018

On 2018 M10 30, Tue 18:33:03 CET NIkolai Marchenko wrote:
> > Thus this investment would be at the expense of other things we’d like to
>
> do, like improving our IDE, working on rearchitecting and cleaning up our
> core frameworks for Qt 6 or the design tooling we are currently investing
> into. The Qt Company believes that those other investments are more
> important for the future of Qt than our choice of build tool.
>
> I don't understand. Will it not be a return on the investment when people
> use Qt "because their build tool is the best around" ?
> Project files are at the root of every project. There are all sorts of good
> IDEs around but ppl mostly are forced to use CMAKE which no one seems to
> like.

I do like it :-P
CMake can generate not only Makefiles and ninja files, but also project files for
IDEs (Visual Studio, XCode, Eclipse).
With the addition of "server mode" 2 or 3 years ago or so now also a tight
integration with IDEs is possible. I think QtCreator and/or KDevelop make use
of this.
So, when using cmake the developer is free to chose whether he wants to use
simply an editor and make/ninja, or a full IDE.

Alex