[Development] Build system for Qt 6

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 13:50:11 CET 2018

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 at 21:43, Jean-Michaƫl Celerier
<jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com> wrote:
> > CMake doesn't support (very well) cross-compilation for android on
> > Windows for example,
>
> fairly interesting considering that Android Studio uses CMake: https://developer.android.com/studio/projects/add-native-code

Fairly interesting indeed, and very surprising too, this WIN32/Android
stuff was fixed last week, i didn't invent it.
Maybe, we ran into bad luck.

> They used to use Gradle but saw the light at some point :-) (or at least the incredible pain that gradle was inflicting on their end-users).

AFAIU,  you still need graddle with Android Studio and/or Cmake, to
deal with some "details" like packaging, manifest, resources,
multi-arch, ...

Here comes my ignorance of the tool, I'll direct my questions to
qt-interest or cmake ML for point outs.

> But in this day and age where docker works everywhere I don't really see the point in fighting to make windows behave like a proper unix system, just write a dockerscript that does your cross-compile job.

What do you mean by 'everywhere'? Native Windows dockers are still
experimental, and i haven't heard of native MacOS docker yet (might
have missed smth).
Automating Linux/Android with Linux is the easiest part.

> Also, there's WSL, I suppose that it should work somehow.

I've tried that, on a native Windows machine (and it's not compatible
with Virtual Box for whatever reason - HyperV responsability?).
I have no interest to run LOW ("Linux on Windows", that is what it
should be called: it produces Linux binaries).
I've tried as well Linux docker for windows (again, no interest, and
it requires VB), last resort is windows docker for windows...
it's coming and it's BIG (10 GB for a 'core' layer)

> > I've never tried, but i'm sure it shouldn't be that hard to add
> support for VHDL/Verilog to Qbs, that's the power of modern SW
> architectures.
>
> what makes you think that it wouldn't work with CMake too ?
> e.g. it supported java for a long time (https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/module/UseJava.html), and C# since 3.8 (https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/module/CSharpUtilities.html)
>
> Here's a simple example of FPGA toolchain (again, 5 seconds of google) : https://github.com/jamieiles/fpga-cmake

Latest commit dc10370 on Aug 15, 2017.
It's an example of a CMake-based project using a dedicated FPGA
workflow (not a CMake toolchain, nor VHDL/Verilog), targeted at a very
specific family of FPGA.
Quartus is Altera's old "IDE", Altera manufactures FPGA and was bought
by Intel few years ago (15B$) [1][2]
I've used it, like any student of my time/space.
They have a free (as in free beer) versions for
students/academic/hobbyist, that you can run from the command line...
GNU make would be fine with dealing with this example project, i would
say that 10 SLOCs are enough.

Chris

[1] https://newsroom.intel.com/news-releases/intel-completes-acquisition-of-altera/
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altera