[Development] Missing documentation in Qt 5.12

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Tue Dec 18 12:49:22 CET 2018

> On Dec 18, 2018, at 11:25, Konstantin Shegunov <kshegunov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 9:39 AM Martin Smith <Martin.Smith at qt.io> wrote:
> I'll argue with you about it being a p1. If the problem is confined to the all-members list, it's not a p1 problem because the information is still there via the inherits links, which are more useful for seeing what is inherited anyway.
>
> You can argue with the people that handled it through the tracker, I don't prioritize bugs. From my point of view, however, it falls strictly into the P1 category - it's a regression from the last version, not an edge-case data loss, and it's pretty embarrassing.
>
> My own opinion is that the all-members list should be removed.
>
> I think no, unless there's another way to search for a method in the hierarchy. Allowing for a somewhat contrived example:
> Say I'm working with `QTemporaryFile` I know there exists something for checking about it being readable but I don't know exactly from where it comes from, then the all-members page is really useful. That use-case gets even more prominent for classes that implement interfaces and/or that have multiply inherited (e.g. QLabel's indirect inheritance from QPaintDevice).

This happens to me all the time with classes inheriting from IODevice, layouts like QHBoxLayout, and quite some widgets, where the useful methods are often spread through the whole hierarchy. Clicking up through the hierarchy works, but is not very efficient, the all members list is much more convenient.

--
Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH