[Development] Qt branches & proposal how to continue with those

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at qt.io
Fri Feb 9 12:39:49 CET 2018

On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 12:07:08PM +0100, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> On other projects I've seen on github with travis and co.:  the tests are run
> for every pull request individually, before it is integrated. The reviewer
> sees the result of the tests and decide whether to merge on not based on the
> result. If one sees that the failures is obviously unrelated to the patch, the
> reviewer will override and merge anyway.
>
> I think this model could be easily applied to Qt.

no, that's exactly the thing that does *not* work for qt. the computing
capacity required to support that model (with the primitive tools we're
apparently capable of utilizing) would be *enormous*.

(of course, one can argue that all the pointlessly failed integrations
effectively thwart the advantage of batch integrations. somebody would
have to do the math to make an actual judgment call.)

another reason why this model may not work too well is qt's abysmal test
coverage in many areas. as annoying as the current system is, it *does*
prevent non-obvious, indirect breakages from going in from time to time,
because people can't just deny responsibility past a certain point.