[Development] Suggestion: switch binary builds to OpenSSL 1.1 in Qt 5.11

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Tue Feb 13 12:08:54 CET 2018

On Friday, 9 February 2018 10:04:30 PST Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:
> The point isn't which version of Qt comes with the distribution, but the
> binary builds. Given people do use binary builds (to have an up-to-date
> Qt) but not mess with OpenSSL, the outcome will be that SSL will not be
> functional for the users of the distributions I mentioned before.

Well, conversely, those who use our binary distributions on more modern
releases of those distributions have the opposite problem; when
Debian/testing upgraded to OpenSSL 1.1, it gave me problems, obliging me
to downgrade OpenSSL in order to continue using Qt.

If folk are willing to upgrade Qt on an old distro, I don't think it's
any more unreasonable to ask for a new OpenSSL version than to ask folk
using up-to-date distros to downgrade their OpenSSL to accommodate a Qt
that's contemporary with the up-to-date rest of their distribution.  If
anything, expecting the latter is more unreasonable than expecting the
former.

	Eddy.