[Development] Google Summer of Code

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at qt.io
Thu Feb 15 11:09:19 CET 2018

On onsdag 14. februar 2018 12.22.34 CET Benjamin TERRIER wrote:
> > On terça-feira, 13 de fevereiro de 2018 04:13:20 PST Frederik Gladhorn
wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > The Qt Project has been accepted as mentor organization for GSoC. Yay!
> > > https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/5388456415461376/
> >
> > That reads "The Qt Company", not "The Qt Project".
> >
> > > We now should collect ideas for projects that students could work on, we
> > > started here:
> > > https://wiki.qt.io/Google_Summer_of_Code/2018/Project_Ideas
> >
> > Would've been nice to be told we were applying, so we could contribute to
> > the ideas list.
>
> That's because according to the Qt Project governance model, if the
> mailing list has never been informed
> that the Qt Project was applying, then the Qt project was not applying.
> So it looks to me that the Qt Company applied for the Qt Project.
> Or am I missing something?

Yes. We did, we should have announced it beforehand. Please believe me that
there was no bad intention, quite the opposite.
The Qt Company will support projects and mentor some, we'd love to have the
community involved, as usual, just drop me a line and I'll add you to the list
of mentors. I hope we end up doing a good job and will continue this next year
in a more coordinated fashion :)

> Anyway that's a great idea, and I like the idea of an IncludeOS port of Qt.
>
> Is there some decisions already made about the licensing of the
> contributions? Like, are contributions going to be released under
> GPL/LGPL/Commercial license like most of Qt,
> or are they going to be GPL/Commercial only?

As Thiago says, the work needs to follow all the usual procedures of
contributing to Qt.

Cheers,
Frederik