[Development] [Qt-creator] Requesting repository for telemetry plugin in Qt Creator

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 10:18:56 CET 2018

Hi Tino,

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 4:58 PM, Tino Pyssysalo <tino.pyssysalo at qt.io> wrote:
> I’ll clarify little bit, as my earlier comment about “any backend” has been
> confusing. I requested a repo for a QtCreator analytics plugin, but we
> realized why not to use a similar solution in other tools as well. I want to
> concentrate on a Qt Creator plugin first to fully understand the problem
> domain. Once that is done we can discuss how to move forward with this
> project”. Our intention is usage data collection, but nothing else at this
> point. Obviously, we plan to use the collected data to improve Qt. As a
> concrete example, we have provided a lot of nice features in Qt Quick
> Designer in the recent Qt Creator releases, but we have no idea, if the use
> of Qt Quick Designer has changed in any way. This kind of data would be very
> valuable to us.

So this is a simple creator plugin to collect data about Qt Creator
users. That makes the scope clear to me, so I can step retract my -1
for undefined scope.

A repository in the qt-creator namespace makes sense to me for that
scope, but considering the experimental nature of this work, a
playground project might work out better. I am not deep enough in the
usual practices to have a firm opinion on that topic.

Best Regards,
Tobias