[Development] Pushing with the same change id to the another branch.

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Jan 2 13:12:10 CET 2018

On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 09:34:45 -02 Igor Mironchik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I pushed a change for code review into the 5.10 branch. But this patch
> can't be merged into 5.10 branch since this is behavior change. Now I
> want to push the same change (commit) into dev branch. So my question is
> it possible to do just:
>
> git push gerrit HEAD:refs/for/dev
>
> Change id will be the same in 5.10 branch review and in dev branch... Is
> it ok? Will it work?

You can reuse the same ID in different branches and in different repositories.
That's not a problem. I often use the same ID in multiple repositories when I
am making the same change everywhere (usually a search-and-replace).

But that said, you shouldn't re-push the same change to a different branch,
you should ask that the change be moved to a different branch, so we can keep
the history of comments in a single place. See Konstantin's email.