[Development] 32bit linux build of qt5.10.0 w/ webengine

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 23:52:40 CET 2018

On 5 January 2018 at 03:16, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> In particular: -no-sse2.
>>
>> If you use that option, that means you're optimising for Pentium III and
>> earlier, not Pentium 4. All Pentium 4 processors have SSE2.

I was looking at LEDE (a fork/merge of OpenWRT) recently, and their
'i386' build actually target Pentium 4, which is i686++
See https://lede-project.org/docs/instructionset/i386_pentium4

I have been fighting with x86_32 build of Qt too, I never managed to
build Qt in 32 bits on a 64 bits OS, I always ended up hacking badly
the host distro (OpenSuse and Ubuntu). I'm now using 32bits OS in a
docker container.

You're not (and I'm not either) the first one to report problems with
building Qt on x86_32 Linux recently.
Linux32 is officially not supported any more, and I think it is a mistake.
Claiming that nobody needs Linux-x86_32 nowadays is plainly wrong.
And dropping opensource/commercial Linux-x86_32 support just before Qt-5.6 (LTS)
 was not a user/client friendly move either.

>> More importantly, SSE2 is *MANDATORY* for 64-bit builds. You may not turn
>> it off. The errors you are getting are related specifically to this
>> option. So are you sure you're building 32-bit?
>
> In addition, QtWebEngine always requires SSE2 no matter how you configure
> Qt. Chromium stopped supporting machines without SSE2 a few years ago.
>
> There is a huge patch (from me) to allow building for non-SSE2 i686 machines
> in the Fedora qt5-qtwebengine package, but that patch is completely
> unsupported by upstream.

I might investigate Fedora 24, which ships Qt-5.6.

Chris