[Development] 32bit linux build of qt5.10.0 w/ webengine

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Jan 7 04:43:00 CET 2018

Christian Gagneraud wrote:
> When I asked my question a few month ago, it was all about how to
> install all the 32 bits (dev) packages on a 64 bits Linux machine
> without having to resort to "dirty hacks", and so far i've been
> unlucky, and nobody was able to give me any hints (not blaming anyone
> here)
>
> So may I rephrase my question?
> Do you have the magic list for apt/zypper that would allow to build
> Qt-5.6/32bits (or Qt-5.9) on a 64bits Linux machine?
> I don't care about Redhat vs Suse vs Debian vs ... I just need to
> generate a 32 bits archive of Qt that can be used on a 64 bits Linux
> machine.

One possibility that always works is to just set up a 32-bit chroot on your
64-bit system, where everything is 32-bit: libraries, compiler, etc. On
Fedora, the "mock" tool can produce such a chroot, other distros have other
comparable tools.

Otherwise, how to install 32-bit libraries on a 64-bit distribution depends
on the distribution:
* in multilib distributions such as Fedora, you install the 32-bit -devel
  package that is copied by the distribution from the 32-bit distribution
  into the 64-bit repositories. In Fedora, this is done by specifying, e.g.,
  "glibc-devel.i686" instead of just "glibc-devel" on the dnf command line.
* non-multilib distributions typically have special packages with names such
  as glibc-devel-32bit.

In any case, the exact naming is distro-dependent.

        Kevin Kofler