[Development] Coin, Boot2Qt, and OE_QMAKE_PATH_HOST_BINS variable

Samuli Piippo samuli.piippo at qt.io
Tue Jan 9 15:32:10 CET 2018

On 09.01.2018 12:27, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've tried to enable cross-compilation in Coin for QtWebKit 5.212 to improve
> platform coverage in each build, however I've faced following problem.
>
> Our Linux cross-compilation platform is Boot2Qt which is based on meta-qt5
> Yocto layer. QtWebKit uses CMake internally, and Qt cmake config files on
> this platform rely on environment variable OE_QMAKE_PATH_HOST_BINS
> (see patch[1]). However, qmake-based builds seem to work fine without this
> variable.
>
> I suppose that patch[1] is wrong. Can we revert it in Yocto images used in Coin?
>

> [1] https://github.com/meta-qt5/meta-qt5/blob/268429962056a12e0e899612dafb433c257af5cf/recipes-qt/qt5/qtbase/0006-Pretend-Qt5-wasn-t-found-if-OE_QMAKE_PATH_EXTERNAL_H.patch
>
> You can see that this patch avtually checks OE_QMAKE_PATH_EXTERNAL_HOST_BINS
> CMake variable instead of environment; in
> sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/share/cmake/OEToolchainConfig.cmake.d/OEQt5Toolchain.cmake
> this cmake variable is set to $ENV{OE_QMAKE_PATH_HOST_BINS}, there is no
> similar file for Aarch64 sysroot and there is no way to guess it's location in the build
> system without hardcoding. Anyway it won't help, because subject variable isn't set.

Qmake based projects work in Coin since they do not use any of the Qt files
already present in the toolchain, but it seems cmake based projects now work
a bit differently. Even if we revert that patch, cmake would still be using
wrong files from the sysroot and not from the Qt it's testing against
in /home/qt/work/install/lib/cmake