[Development] Time to switch to android-clang

Sergio Martins sergio.martins at kdab.com
Tue Jan 9 18:10:29 CET 2018

On 2017-12-19 16:18, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On terça-feira, 19 de dezembro de 2017 03:25:17 PST Sergio Martins
> wrote:
>> Furthermore, supporting both android and android-clang is a
>> maintenance
>> burden: the mkspecs are often broken, either because of a new Qt
>> version
>> or because of a new NDK version. Then you have to test not only gcc
>> and
>> clang, but also test builds with the older NDKs.
>> So we should also bump the NDK.
>
> I'm not familiar with Android development and the difficulty in
> maintaining
> android-clang. But seeing as we're already doing that anyway, it should
> be
> less work to change to Clang. I'm all for upgraing compilers, so a +0.5
> for
> me.
>
> However, please answer this: what kind of compatibility do we need and
> for how
> long do we need to provide it?

That's a good question (maybe for TQC and Bogdan). Probably only
source-compatibility.

 From what I've seen, people recompile their app and bundle Qt with it,
there's no Binary Compat concern.

Some people use a service called Ministro, which installs Qt on their
phone system-wide. They can get updates for Qt patch releases without
rebuilding their application.

Regards,
--
Sérgio Martins | sergio.martins at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
Tel: Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090, USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322)