[Development] Repository request: Qt Notifier

Shawn Rutledge Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io
Tue Jan 16 15:04:57 CET 2018

> On 16 Jan 2018, at 14:49, Kari Oikarinen <kari.oikarinen at qt.io> wrote:
>

> On 15.01.2018 17:25, Ryan Chu wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm working on a task supporting "Push Notification" for Qt applications. This feature will be implemented on Android and iOS devices as the first stage. A new module called "Qt Notify" will be created for all platforms. Therefore I request a repository.
>
> This sounds like it overlaps with qtcloudmessaging which also seems
> to be about push notifications? Or are they actually about something
> different and I'm mixing things?
>
> http://blog.qt.io/blog/2018/01/02/qt-cloud-messaging-api-available-embedded-systems/

Good catch.  So is the API suitable for expanding to mainstream platforms?

Also “Qt Notifications” sounds too generic to me, and maybe a bit misleading… we know we need to add support for system/desktop notifications (like the sidebar on macOS, and other UIs on Android and iOS and others) and some work was supposed to be in the pipeline for that at some point - not that it needs its own repo, but this concept might still be the first association for many people.  Cloud-based notification is more specific.