[Development] Repository request: Qt Notifier

Ari Salmi ari.salmi at snowgrains.com
Wed Jan 17 09:41:32 CET 2018

Hi there,

Thanks for asking:

>Ari: can you give (or point us to, if it's already written up) an
>over-view of what's supported, on which platforms, and how far the API,
>seen by Qt code using it, is independent of choice of back-end ?
>How far is it dependent on the Kaltiot service ? What is that ?
>The blog post looks promising, at least :-)

The purpose of the Qt Cloud messaging is to provide possibility to wrap platform specific push notification backend or implement full cross platform with Qt’s own components (e.g. against customer’s own backend). API itself is independent of the backend - developer can choose which one to use for his/her product. Or can implement (and contribute) own backend as well.

Wrappers at the moment in QtCloudMessaging are:
- Firebase Cloud Messaging support for Android and iOS
- And Kaltiot embedded devices notification services. Kaltiot SDK also works on desktops so

Kaltiot is a embedded notification service provider which is capable of handling, managing production level amount of devices (I guess there are no limit when negotiated with Kaltiot). Currently Kaltiot wrapper includes push notification service parts against their SDK.

Going forward, next steps on this are to fine tune the SDK API. And find more fluent way to configure wrapped SDKs to make first time usage easier (currently needs few env. variables to point e.g. to downloaded Firebase SDK etc.) as it will help to implement more platform specific SDKs as backend. All the help on these are appreciated !

Current usage:
There are few customers using this wrapper already in their mobile app production against Firebase.
Also Kaltiot customer base is now growing due this.

So I guess time used for creating this has been worthwhile and gives more opportunities to Qt be on the chosen platform for device & app development :)

Br, Ari

Päällä 16 January 2018 klo 22.10.09, Samuel Gaist (samuel.gaist at edeltech.ch) kirjoitti:

> On 16 Jan 2018, at 15:04, Shawn Rutledge <Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io> wrote:
>

>> On 16 Jan 2018, at 14:49, Kari Oikarinen <kari.oikarinen at qt.io> wrote:
>>

>> On 15.01.2018 17:25, Ryan Chu wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I'm working on a task supporting "Push Notification" for Qt applications. This feature will be implemented on Android and iOS devices as the first stage. A new module called "Qt Notify" will be created for all platforms. Therefore I request a repository.
>>
>> This sounds like it overlaps with qtcloudmessaging which also seems
>> to be about push notifications? Or are they actually about something
>> different and I'm mixing things?
>>
>> http://blog.qt.io/blog/2018/01/02/qt-cloud-messaging-api-available-embedded-systems/
>
> Good catch. So is the API suitable for expanding to mainstream platforms?
>
> Also “Qt Notifications” sounds too generic to me, and maybe a bit misleading… we know we need to add support for system/desktop notifications (like the sidebar on macOS, and other UIs on Android and iOS and others) and some work was supposed to be in the pipeline for that at some point - not that it needs its own repo, but this concept might still be the first association for many people. Cloud-based notification is more specific.

Hi,

The work you are thinking about is likely this one: https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/166456/. I’d be happy to reactivate it.

Cheers

Samuel