[Development] Integrating Common Print Dialog project into Qt

Rithvik Patibandla rithvikp98 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 14:53:55 CET 2018

On Thursday 21 December 2017 02:35 PM, Rithvik Patibandla wrote:

> Hi
>
> This summer, OpenPrinting [1] has created a Common Print Dialog
> project via the Google Summer of Code (2017) program to improve the
> experience of printing in Linux systems with a modern UI and backend
> APIs that will be maintained by the OpenPrinting org (the idea can be
> found here [2]). I am one of the students who worked on this project.
> For the UI, we decided to build one using Qt 5. Although, the dialog
> started as an application to ship with individual distributions, we
> changed course and instead built a print dialog API which can be used
> by application developers to include the dialog in their applications.
>  We wish to integrate this dialog API into Qt so that any application
> built using Qt can use this dialog to include support for printing.
> The code for the dialog can be found here [3]. We request the Qt
> developers to review the code and help us in integrating the dialog
> into Qt. The build instructions are given in the README file and
> screenshots of the dialog will be uploaded very soon.
>
> Thanks,
> Rithvik
>
> [1] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openprinting/start
> [2]
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2017-openprinting-projects
> [3] https://github.com/rithvikp1998/common-print-dialog

Hi,

After input from Qt developers (both on this thread and outside), I
modified the UI part of the dialog and redid it using qwidgets instead
of qt quick. The new code can be found here:
https://github.com/rithvikp1998/CPDv2 The code is only half-complete but
the basic skeleton is ready and we need as much input (regarding the
code structure etc.) that we can get from the qt community in order for
this dialog to make it into the official qt API.

Thanks,
Rithvik