[Development] Change description of strict phase to match current practice

Tuukka Turunen tuukka.turunen at qt.io
Wed Jan 24 14:41:01 CET 2018

Hi,

I would like to change QUIP5 (Choosing a branch) slightly to match our current practice: https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/215712/

QUIP5 currently states: “*strict* This period starts when the subsequent stable branch is created (for the 5.6 LTS, this would have been 5.7).”

This does not match what we did with Qt 5.6, as it would have meant that we enter cherry pick mode after three months. We did not do that with Qt 5.9 either, but continued to push all fixes through the LTS release after Qt 5.10 was branched from dev.

I would propose new text for this to be: “*strict* This period starts when the one after next stable branch is created (for the 5.9 LTS, the one after next is 5.11).”

This is a better match to our existing practice and also feasible from branch management viewpoint. If we would continue pushing everything via the LTS branch also when the one after next stable branch is created, it would soon become an impossible task due to the amount of merges needed.

The change already has +2 in codereview, but before staging it, we would like to make sure this is a generally accepted change to the QUIP5. If you have objections, please tell about these either in the mailing list or in the change itself.

Yours,

                             Tuukka