[Development] cocoa:fontengine=freetype and bitmap fonts

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 23:11:32 CET 2018

Hi,

One of the surprising side-effects of using the FreeType fontengine in general use is that I sometimes get a bitmap font, esp. in the Assistant. I'd noticed this on Linux too, btw.

Turns out that this happens (only?) with the Helvetica font. I do have XQuartz installed (with the accompanying set of bitmap fonts) but I think this is rather a True/OpenType font with embedded bitmaps for certain smaller sizes, because the effect disappears when I scale the text up.

Calling QFont::setStyleStrategy(QFont::ForceOutline) fixes the issue (PreferOutline is not enough, sadly). I'd love to make this a global default by adding it to a style or platform theme, but apparently there is no way to set a (change the) default style strategy?

Thanks,
R.