[Development] Development Digest, Vol 76, Issue 53

Steve Schilz sschilz at pasco.com
Fri Jan 26 17:57:59 CET 2018

On 1/26/18, 7:22 AM, "Development on behalf of development-request at qt-project.org" <development-bounces+sschilz=pasco.com at qt-project.org on behalf of development-request at qt-project.org> wrote:

    >>>		?I'll soon try to see if it actually works.
    >>>		The QtWebEngine requirement does seem to run counter to the purpose of the QtWebView module.
    >>>		It?s not really clear from the history what happened, but I think we can restore the original behavior:
    >>>		https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/217706/
    >>>		There was a discussion about run-time plugins in QtWebView, if they were implemented it won't be
    >>>		a problem to load and use QtWebEngine backend if it is really needed, and avoid it otherwise
    >>>		Morten
    >>	23.01.2018, 17:09, "Morten S?rvig" <mailto:morten.sorvig at qt.io>:
    >>		In the end we decided to go with this approach and finalize the plugin patch for dev. The other branches
    >>		will be left as-is. In the mean time it's possible is to build QtWebView from source with the above patch
    >>		If you want to avoid the QtWebEngine requirement.
    >>
    >>		 Morten
    >>Apologies in advance if this comes off in any way as rude, I love Qt, and respect everyone here greatly.
    >>Am I correct in understanding that you are saying that prebuilt Qt packages cannot be used to submit to the app store,
    >>And that anyone who wishes to use Qt to develop an app on OSX and submit to the app store must be savvy enough to
   >>Build from source, and locate this thread in the dev newsgroup, and then apply the patch specified?
>
>    I agree with this point, but as I said we concluded with not changing the current Qt versions. Order
>    will be restored once the plugin patch is released. I?m not sure what the default plugin will be yet, but at
>    the very least you can select the native plugin by not building QWebEngine or not deploying the QWebEngine
>    plugin (e.g. with macdeployqt -appstore-compliant).
>
>    Morten

Thanks for the additional clarifications from Morten and Kai.  It wasn't clear to me from the above discussion at 23.01.2018, 17:09
that there are definite plans to go forward with the plugin.  We have been using Qt for 8 years now, since the 4.x timeframe, and
from that vantage point we definitely understand that things don't happen immediately, but that they do happen in as timely a
fashion as is possible while maintaining the high standards that Qt is known for.

Steve Schilz
Pasco Scientific
Think Science