[Development] Using Native web view on OS X

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 10:57:18 CET 2018

Kai Koehne wrote:

> Indeed, and we agreed to solve this properly by introducing a plugin based
> architecture: https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/207651/

This wouldn't also be of interest for developers who want to target Apple's App
Store. Assuming QtWebView is an appropriate choice for implementing a rich-text
viewer for (mostly) local documents in any case. QtWebEngine is usually severely
overkill for that purpose, QTextBrowser usually (just) not good enough.

> It's just not something you want to do in a patch level release, because
> stability.

I'm thinking that stability shouldn't depend on whether you introduce this in a
patchlevel release or a major release. (Or maybe I have a certain experience
that "older" patch level releases are more stable? :) )