[Development] Qt branches & proposal how to continue with those

Tuukka Turunen tuukka.turunen at qt.io
Tue Jan 30 06:57:38 CET 2018

Hi,

This is not an either-or thing. Of course both having new feature releases and stable LTS are important. I am not claiming otherwise. My point is that there are more users for the LTS versions, thus I used the expression. There are a lot of users for both, we do not need to have a poll to know that these are both important.

I still would like to emphasize the point I made in my e-mail: this is to me specifically about what do we do to Qt 5.10 branch after release of Qt 5.10.1. Not about stopping patch releases altogether for other than LTS.

Yours,

	Tuukka

On 30/01/2018, 1.19, "Development on behalf of Kevin Kofler" <development-bounces+tuukka.turunen=qt.io at qt-project.org on behalf of kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

    Tuukka Turunen wrote:
    > Users prefer LTS releases

    According to what statistics? Also keep in mind that distributions will
    download Qt once and redistribute it to thousands of users. And also that
    there are 2 classes of Qt users: application developers and end users.

    Such a bold claim really ought to be more substantiated than that.

    I would on the contrary expect users to want new features sooner rather than
    later, also considering that Qt is almost 100% backwards compatible from one
    release to the next anyway, but that is just a feeling with no statistics at
    all.

            Kevin Kofler