[Development] Timeout for QFuture::waitForFinished()

Lorenz Haas lykurg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 21:31:30 CEST 2018

Hi,

today I wished QFuture::waitForFinished() had a timeout parameter.
After a brief look waitForFinished() uses a QWaitCondition::wait()
internally, which already provides an optional timeout parameter.

So I wonder if there is any technical/intentional reason why there is
no timeout parameter?

Follow-up question if a timeout could be added: AFAIK adding an new
parameter to waitForFinished() or adding an overload is BiC. Thus
would a timeout parameter have to wait for Qt6 or could it be realized
for Qt 5 e.g. with a behavior like m_cancelOnWait of
QFutureSynchronizer?

Thanks
Lorenz