[Development] Qt 6 buildsystem support requirements

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Jul 21 22:04:10 CEST 2018

On Saturday, 21 July 2018 10:39:49 PDT Иван Комиссаров wrote:
> 1. IDE integration. I really need the IDE know the correct CXX flags for
> each separate file in my project - that is includes, c++ version and so on.
> Currently i’m using a generated CMake file at my work and the integration
> with Qt Creator is awful, i’m using IDE just as a simple text editor -
> syntax highlighting breaks because IDE can’t find some headers (however,
> goto definition works for them).

That's already more than what we have for qmake, so I wouldn't put this as a
requirement. It's a nice-to-have.

The point is that the tool has to be at least in feature parity with qmake and
that includes cross-compilation and IDE support.

> Yes, CMake has much more users than QBS, however, how many of them will
> volunteer to work with CMake’s Qt Creator integration? 5 people? 10?

5 people would be more than what we currently have for either qmake or qbs
today, so seems ok.

> So the question is - is it easier to port QBS to be built without Qt or to
> use CMake with Qt?

Again, solving the build is easy. Please look into the requirements at (2).
THAT is a lot harder. And all I'm asking is for experience. I don't want Qt to
be the guinea pig.

More to the point: I will not be part of the experimentation. Give me a mature
tool.