[Development] Qt 6 buildsystem support requirements

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Jul 22 04:05:16 CEST 2018

On Saturday, 21 July 2018 16:52:44 PDT Jason Newton wrote:
> -Ability to build external libraries from source or pull in binary
> libraries

This is not a feature. It's a misfeature.

It's EXACTLY the reason our seniormost engineers spent three days trying to
upgrade TensorFlow in Clear Linux. That's not your junior guy who only knows
how to run "npn install". We're talking about people who had been building
stuff on Linux years before you'd ever heard about Linux.

Anyway, you'll see in my original email that I did not name any buildsytem. I
only set forth a set of requirements that any buildsystem worth its salt
should be able to meet. We're more than two years away from switching to a new
buildsystem, so even if a new one sprung up tomorrow, it would have enough
time to meet the (2.b) requirement of one package packaged continuously for 2
years.

So maybe bazel has a shot. Or ninja. Or scons. Who knows.