[Development] LLVM and Qt

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 22:36:43 CEST 2018

Hi! As now qdoc has gained a dependency on llvm we noted that many Debian
ports will not be able to build it anymore, as llvm has (at least for now) no
support for them:

<https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=llvm-toolchain-6.0&suite=sid>

I would like to know if there is any other place in Qt where it might start
requiring llvm to point porters (people behind those archs) where they will be
seeing more issues.

It would also be pretty nice to know if there is a policy with respect the
llvm supported version. As they do not keep ABI compatibility distros normally
are forced to ship from two to three versions. As I understand the idea in
Debian testing/unstable is to have the latest two always available, sometimes
three of them. That already created some issues for us with Qt Creator, as at
some point it required a version which was about to be removed.

Please note that I am not objecting the use of llvm in any way, although it
would be real cool if they kept ABI... but that's not up to us to fix it I
guess.

Thanks, Lisandro.

--
She got her good looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon.
 -- Groucho Marx

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/