[Development] Qt 6 buildsystem support requirements

Shawn Rutledge Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io
Tue Jul 31 10:33:21 CEST 2018

> On 31 Jul 2018, at 09:41, Иван Комиссаров <abbapoh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> QBS generates Qt Modules file depending on the information that QMake provides about modules installed in the system to make sure you won;t be able to import module that doesn’t exist on your system.

Files that were dynamically created and that I could delete at any time hardly seem like an authoritative place to check what modules are installed on my system.  It’s far more likely that they will be out of date later on when I update or remove a system library.

> According to the fact that you can have multiple versions of Qt (i have 3 Qt versions on my Linux machine) and they may be installed in you home dir, it is logical to store those files in your home dir (.config).

It still looks like needless duplicate info to me.  Besides, installing Qt in my home dir is not at all a standard thing to do (it’s only that the Qt installer does it).  The standard thing is to use distro-provided packages.  And if it becomes necessary for those packages to include qbs-related metainfo, they will end up under /usr somewhere.  But maybe it’s better that qbs learns how to use pkg-config, unless there’s a good reason not to?

> Of course, you can safely remove the whole dir, it’s just your personal configuration.
>
> Funny that you blaming only QBS about the mess in a home dir:)

Of course not only qbs.  ;-)  Browser profiles make a bigger mess for example.

> What disturbs me more is the folders like ~/.dropbox ~/.subversion ~/.designer in the root of my home dir *sign*

yeah, sigh (but dropbox is an easy thing to avoid)