[Development] Symbol clashes with static Qt libraries

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Jul 31 16:57:39 CEST 2018

On Tuesday, 31 July 2018 05:46:44 PDT Simon Hausmann wrote:
> I favor (a) along with the existing test, because of the issues Giuseppe
> outlined with (b) and I'm sceptical about how realistic (c) is for us.

We will not be able to get (c) working everywhere. I remember trying objcopy
some years ago messing with symbol properties and I know I wasn't successful.
I don't remember what I was trying, though, so this is not a showstopper for
our current problem. Just don't get your hopes up.

I think we need (a) and we can apply (c) if possible.

> If we wanted to make this test work again (and produce errors with your
> logging category examples), then we would need a configuration in the CI
> that builds on Linux without ELF visibility. At least that's one of the
> ways it could be done with minimal effort.

Why can't the test run on .a files?

> It however does not protect us from the issue on Windows and macOS, but it
> covers the cross-platform code.

nm exists on both too. We won't get it on MSVC, though.