[Development] Do we really need Assimp?

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 18:24:32 CEST 2018

El jueves, 7 de junio de 2018 13:03:43 -03 Thiago Macieira escribió:
> On Thursday, 7 June 2018 04:31:13 PDT Sean Harmer wrote:
> > Another option is to only rely upon a system installed assimp and build
> > these tools only if found at configure time. In fact, that's probably
> > easiest and best. Then we can remove assimp from the source. It means
> > users woudl need to build these tools/plugins themselves (typically on
> > macOS/Windows) but at least they would be easily available.
> >
> > Would that be acceptable to the project?
>
> How often is the tool used and how needed is the plugin? Asked differently,
> if most users didn't have access to them, would they notice?

In Debian we dropped it for some time due to some factor I can't remember now.
After a couple of months we've got one user asking for it.

I think had it been a very used component we would have received bugs more
promptly.

We are currently using system assimp [log], so I guess that if this route is
decided upon then it should not be too complicated to accomplish.

[log] <https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=qt3d-opensource-src&arch=amd64&ver=5.10.1%2Bdfsg-5&stamp=1523650759&raw=0>

--
9: Que es el "Explorador" de Windows
    * El tipo que le roba las ideas a MacOs