[Development] QtCS 2018 - Serialisation session notes

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Jun 11 13:39:07 CEST 2018

On Monday, 11 June 2018 13:23:21 CEST Liang Qi wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 at 13:17, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
>
> wrote:
> > Link: https://wiki.qt.io/QtCS2018_Serialisation
> >
> > === Protobuf ===
> >
> > * Need volunteers to write a Proof of Concept
> > ** plugin to protoc?
> >
> > About protobuf support in Qt, I have an old WIP change at
>
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/205316/ . But not sure whether it can
> help here or not.

The point is that I want a proof of concept of what can be done.

There can be two objectives:

1) protobuf is an implementation detail
We use it to transport Qt state, but it's not exposed in the API

2) protobuf is an objective
Communication with another endpoint (non-Qt) that uses the same Protobuf IDL

Either might be an interesting addition to Qt. I'd like to see an exploration
of the possibilities and what limitations would turn up.