[Development] clang-format

Scott Bloom scott at towel42.com
Fri Jun 22 18:55:35 CEST 2018

> I cant even get my developers to agree the emacs takes to many fingers, and VI(m) is the only editor they need....
>
> Let alone, where the brackets and spaces belong....
>
> Let alone, if statements on the same line as the conditional....
>
> The problem ive seen, is while you may LOVE the curly brackts on the
> same line, you will never convince me... 😊

The problem I have with this oft-recurring formatting discussion is that it's advertised as a big benefit, sometimes downplaying its cost. It doesn't help me all that much to have familiar formatting and naming in a translation unit; that consistency is dwarfed by the effort needed to understand the logical design of the code to reasonable modify/refactor/maintain it.

I think it's reasonable and harmless to clang-format new changes; I continue to be unconvinced of the cost/benefit ratio of reformatting all of our existing code.
Agreed.

I have moved to the "over all policy" of don’t check in crap code... 😊  And run your styler as you need to, on code you are working on, if it helps you understand it.

And "try" to avoid checking in "format only changes"

Scott