[Development] Making QObject::dumpObjectTree() and QObject::dumpObjectInfo() invokable

Mitch Curtis mitch.curtis at qt.io
Tue Mar 6 11:04:33 CET 2018

https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/221758/ makes QObject::dumpObjectTree() and QObject::dumpObjectInfo() invokable so that they can be used from QML. I think that this could be useful to debug issues, but being such a widely used and important class, I'm a bit unsure about whether it's worth the extra overhead. Here's what Olivier has to say about the overhead (taken from the review comments):

"The overhead here is that QObject, which is the base class of all objects, gets two more methods. (out of the 4 it has currently.) This means that QMetaObject::invoke might be slightly slower if it does not find the method. (But since it is currently not really optimized right now, i don't think we should care about this.) I don't know what that means for QML lookups, but probably does not matter."

So, I'm wondering what others think.

Would you use these from QML?

Would these be better off as a helper function in the Qt singleton? E.g. Qt.dumpObjectTree(object) and Qt.dumpObjectInfo(object).