[Development] GSoC 2018: Interested in working on Bazel plugin for Qt Creator

Sree Gowtham Josyula sreegowthamj at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 19:02:38 CET 2018

Hello All,

I am a Masters Student in Computer Engineering Program at Arizona State
University. I am interested in participating in Google Summer of Code 2018
with Qt as my mentor organisation. I went through all the projects
mentioned here - https://wiki.qt.io/Google_Summer_of_Code/2018/Project_Ideas
and I am interested in working on the Bazel plugin for Qt Creator. In that
regard, I went through the plugin architecture of Qt Creator and
CMakeProjectManager plugin written for it. Based on what I have understood,
I have split the main task of Bazel suport for Qt Creator into the
following sub tasks -

1. Getting the information of the configured toolchains in qtkitinformation
2. Identifying the build directory for a toolchain and running Bazel in it
for the given project
3. Parsing the bazel configuration output from build directory to identify
targets, header paths and compiler flags
4. Passing header paths and compiler flags information to Clang backend for
supporting clang functionality like goto definition, auto-complete
5. Bazel BUILD & WORKSPACE file editor - with indentation, syntax
highlighting and auto-complete support
6. GUI in the settings pane for configuring Bazel and setting additional
flags, parameters for compilation
7. Writing appropriate unit tests

Could you let me know if my approach is in the right direction and also if
there is anything else I could do to add to the above.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Gowtham
(Sree Gowtham Josyula)