[Development] Qt for WebAssembly

Tim Murison tim.murison at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 21:05:52 CET 2018

> Thanks Tim, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I *highly*
> recommend the Wt toolkit (https://www.webtoolkit.eu/widgets) , even
> if it's not LGPL. The Widget gallery is implemented in Wt, and you
> can see they have everything, and even a working TreeView! Your
> QWidget experience will transfer directly, but you'll have to get
> used to using Boost. And it's fast. I "feels" faster than any other
> website.

I looked into Wt briefly a few months ago, but for my kind of work, Qml
 is a much better fit than widgets, hence qmlweb would be ideal if it
were integrated into Qt. In fact I'd go as far as saying that not
having a qmlweb type of solution has been the primary reason I haven't
been able to use Qt in at least 3 commercial products, so anecdotally
it is a direct cause of revenue loss for TQtC.

> And at the end of the day, whenever I use a web technology I'm
> grumbling because I'm not using Qt. Qt is a far superior solution.
> But if it doesn't open itself to a wider audience it'll continue to
> be obscure (But still used by major companies). But my point is when
> I say "Qt" people ask what's that? Or they ask "you mean que tee"?
> (indicating a branding problem)

I agree with this also. For what it's worth, developer surveys tend to
include all sorts of flavour-of-the-week web/mobile toolkits in their
lists, and they never have Qt.