[Development] Qt for WebAssembly

Viktor Engelmann viktor.engelmann at qt.io
Thu Mar 15 10:57:56 CET 2018

I am personally quite excited about having a common standard for
binaries on the web, that can be generated from C++ and I think there is
a lot of potential and I am happy to see Qt going in that direction.

Regarding the load-times: WebAssembly supports dynamic linking, so
browsers might cache Qt libraries, so they would only have to download
them once. If the pages loaded the libs from a common location (say
download.qt.io), they would even only have to load them once for all
pages that use them. (I do have to say that I've had bad experiences
with the caching of wasm files - sometimes they aren't even reloaded
after new versions are on the server... but that should only be a
temporary problem).

About the threading: there are Web Workers in the HTML5 standard. These
basically are threads, but they are harder to use (for example because
of /*strict*/ ownership of objects), so it might not be feasible to map
threads to Web Workers... Just throwing it into the discussion.

--

Viktor Engelmann
Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH