[Development] The CI is down atm

Tony Sarajärvi tony.sarajarvi at qt.io
Sat Mar 17 12:14:09 CET 2018

(top posting, thank you outlook)
The NFS is the backbone of how our CI works. I've been drawing a describing picture of how our infra is set up so that everyone can understand the bits and pieces of it, but I've seen so super busy lately that it hasn't progressed lately. Began working on it during the slower period at Christmas.

Basically we have 20 hosts that need access to the same data. For this we have a Dell Compellent storage system in the background and OpenNebula having the qcow2 images stored there. Now these qcow2 images are shared over NFS and we have 20 hosts reading that data. If they constantly read that data over the local network, the NFS server would not cope with it. So that's why all hosts have NFS caches so that the data they need is mostly available every time it's needed.

It would be a dramatic change in the infra setup if we distributed all these qcow2 images to the hosts beforehand, and we don't have the storage space on the hosts to store the images either ☹

-Tony