[Development] Do we really need Assimp?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed May 23 02:16:22 CEST 2018

Given the number of warnings in this codebase, I am really skeptical about the
quality of the code. Today, compiling with GCC, Clang an ICC, I saw the
following warnings scroll by, which are real issues:

LWSLoader.cpp:428:14: warning: duplicated ‘if’ condition [-Wduplicated-cond]

new_allocator.h:140:22: warning: destructor called on non-final
'Assimp::FICDATAValueImpl' that has virtual functions but non-virtual
destructor [-Wdelete-non-virtual-dtor]

miniz.h(4430): warning #592: variable "level" is used before its value is set

And then there are of course warnings that indicate none of their developers
are testing new compilers, like

LWOLoader.cpp:1408:13: warning: this statement may fall through [-Wimplicit-
fallthrough=]

Can we get rid of it?

If not, can I ask someone to compile it with CONFIG += warn_off, to hide all
that ugliness? Those warnings make finding our warnings more difficult and it
affects our reputation because people see warnings and think they're Qt's
fault.

Qt3D maintainers, please take action to make sure those warnings disappear
from our builds.