[Development] QTBUG-43096 - QML instantiation performance decadence

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Sat May 26 15:07:46 CEST 2018

On 26 May 2018 at 12:20, Uwe Rathmann <Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de> wrote:
> Hi Robin,
>
>> Why does it need to be? I have never needed to subclass QQuickControl,
>> personally, so I have never brought this topic up.
>
> For the same reason all other controls from QC2 do subclass it. If you
> want to participate in mechanisms ( like font/locale/palette propagation
> ) that are implemented in this base class, you have to.
>
>> There is a cost, yes. But I would say it's more a cost/benefit tradeoff.
>> Faster prototyping and development cycles at a cost of requiring some of
>> your resources to munch on.
>
> Please allow me not to respond: I would like to avoid ending up in yet
> another QML vs. C++ discussion.

I think it makes perfect sense for many reasons to strive for exposing
the QC2/QML/etc. API to
C++ applications, and that that's something we should certainly do.
There are very reasonable
user scenarios and business cases where that would be desirable, as
the trade-offs mentioned
are on the scale from unpalatable to undesirable to unattractive.