[Development] QTBUG-43096 - QML instantiation performance decadence

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun May 27 00:25:01 CEST 2018

On Saturday, 26 May 2018 18:20:17 -03 Richard Weickelt wrote:
> > There are JavaScript interpreters for microcontrollers (see Duktape and
> > Jerryscript). But those are designed to run on tens of *kilobytes* of RAM.
> > You can't compare them to Qt, as they have special limitations to run
> > that way. For example, neither implementation supports "eval".
>
> I wonder if those tiny devices with tens or even hundreds of kilobytes RAM
> running Jerryscript would be already sufficient for a "QML light". I am not
> talking about QML GUIs, but rather simple sensor/actor applications
> consisting of few state machines and using one of the 1001 available
> communication stacks.

It would be interesting to explore. QML is nothing but a property-binding and
object-instantiating syntax on top of JS, so it could be done.

> MCU vendors usually offer and praise their own C SDKs, but my experience so
> far is that it can take a very long time to achieve even simple applications
> and one has to write either a lot of boilerplate code or use fragile and
> obscure tools.

Hence the use of JS.

See https://elinux.org/images/f/ff/JavaScript_Meets_Zephyr.pdf

Disclaimer: Sakari is a colleague of mine. And some of the folks at TQtC may
remember him from Nokia times, as he worked on Maemo/MeeGo.