[Development] Deprecation of Qt Canvas3D in 5.12

Andy Nichols Andy.Nichols at qt.io
Fri Nov 9 09:26:51 CET 2018

Canvas3D is being deprecated because the current maintainer proposed it should be.  Also don't think this decision was made "hastily" because there has been very little activity on Canvas3D in a long time.  See the merged commits to Canvas3D (most of which are just bumping the version).
https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/q/canvas3d+status:merged,n,z

In practice any module can be brought out of deprecation if someone is interested in taking over maintainership responsibilities of that module and there is sufficient interested in actually developing and maintaining a module as new Qt releases are created.  For Canvas3D there just wasn't that much interest and development going on there, so I agree with the proposal to deprecate it.  I suspect there are many other modules in Qt that are in practice unmaintained and in some cases might not even have an active maintainer to propose deprecation.

By misrepresenting unmaintained modules as maintained by just "keeping them around" for release after release, we do ourselves a disservice by reducing the overall quality of Qt.

Regards,
Andy Nichols