[Development] [HEADS UP] 5.12 locked down (Re: Merge and Integration status report - 2018.11.08)

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Tue Nov 13 11:30:58 CET 2018

On Dienstag, 13. November 2018 09:30:11 CET Ulf Hermann wrote:
>> Just wait forever on the check in a loop. After 15 minutes the
>> watchdog kicks in and kills the test. If that happens, you know that
>> it's a real failure. This works fine for the QML debugger tests.

I encourage you to rewrite those tests.
Anything that makes Coin slower is Bad.

Allan Sandfeld Jensen (13 November 2018 09:37)
> Since hanging randomly is a common issue in our CI, that would be
> indistinguishable from a random failure.

In this case it'll actually time out in five minutes (the testlib
watchdog's time-out for a single test).  A little more easily mistaken
for Coin flakiness, if anything.  (I have seen ample evidence that Coin
sometimes leaves a process no run-time for five minutes; this is what
causes building of configure to fail fairly routinely.)

Note that QTRY_IMPL() first runs its loop for the specified time-out, to
see if it passes; then, if it hasn't passed, runs it for the same
time-out more; the "would have passed if" report is just there to let us
know when extending the timeout might solve the problem.  No sense
waiting five minutes when we already know we've failed.

	Eddy.