[Development] Qt6/Qt5 coinstallability (Linux distributions)

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 22:43:20 CET 2018

Hi! I would like to bring this issue with time so we can try to find a nice
solution for this.

Some time before Qt5 was released, in an attempt for Qt4/Qt5 coinstallability,
qtchooser was developed to help ensure e.g. moc, qdbus and rcc could coexist.
Before qtchooser came in a user could not have the same tool installed at the
same time for both versions, or would have to put them in another place other
than /usr/bin or [insert any other possible solutions here].

qtchooser was kind of adopted by only half the linux distributions out there,
and even if it served it's purpose it has it's own share of [bugs] that are
either hard to fix, or even impossible by design.

So I propose that for Qt6 we try to think in a different approach; an approach
that maybe needs to be thought from the beginning, and I think this is the
right time to start with this.

Maybe the simplest one is to just introduce version numbers to all those
executables: uic6, qml6, rcc6 (or some variations of that uic-6, uic-qt6...)
But we are open to other ideas.

Much as Thiago did for the build system thread, I would like to share my
thoughts on what would be ideal to get accomplished:

a) Qt 5 and Qt 6 binaries should be coinstalable both in a developer
(libraries + binaries + build tools) and in a user's (only required libraries
and binaries) perspective. For example: a user should not need qmake to be
present.

b) There should be no need to become root in order to switch between Qt
versions.

c) Ideally no "proxy" executable should be used.

Again, we are open to other ideas.

Thanks in advance.

[bugs] <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=qtchooser>

--