[Development] Qt6/Qt5 coinstallability (Linux distributions)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Nov 14 03:37:08 CET 2018

On Tuesday, 13 November 2018 15:19:58 PST Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
wrote:
> Agreed, but this means that if an application is backwards compatible then
> it must be kept like that for all the Qt 6 lifetime. Is that feasible?

Yes. Assistant, Linguist, the D-Bus tools should be.

But I've just remembered that Designer loads plugins and those are quite
clearly tied to the Qt version. The file format is backwards compatible and
has remained so for a few years. It is possible that the plugins generate the
same XML regardless of version, but I think we shouldn't risk it. So yes,
Designer should be versioned.