[Development] Resolving coding style contentions

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 17:42:49 CET 2018

On 23/11/2018 03.39, Eike Ziller wrote:
> On 22. Nov 2018, at 17:41, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> If a file is correctly formatted to begin with,
>
> That’s exactly the point. Forcing a codebase to be completely
> reformatted when adopting a style severely limits the options for
> introducing it.

Eh... I find inconsistent style within a file to be the absolute worst
thing you can do, style-wise. So, while I understand your argument, I'm
still not sure I agree. Better, if you have an existing style, to use a
tool that can enforce what you already have.

OTOH, something you could do with uncrustify that you can't do with
clang-format is gradually build up a "complete" set of style rules, a
few rules at a time.

>> BTW, while there are hopefully few if any left, what does clang-format
>> do to normalized SIGNAL/SLOT?
>
> Is that a relevant question for the Qt 5 code base?

I don't know; is it? I guess I would hope not, but offhand I don't know.

(BTW, what about uic? AFAIK that still generates SIGNAL/SLOT
connections. OT: Any plans to change that?)

--
Matthew