[Development] Requesting a wip/qt6 branch for QtSerialBus

Oswald Buddenhagen Oswald.Buddenhagen at qt.io
Tue Oct 2 13:08:44 CEST 2018

On Tue, Oct 02, 2018 at 10:37:24AM +0200, André Hartmann wrote:
> I allready have some ideas for QCanBusDevice which requires
> binary-incompatible changes and therefore needs to be done for Qt6 [1].
>
> To be able to already start the work, I'm hereby requesting a wip branch
> that could be merged when the "real" Qt6 development begins.
>
> The advantage would be, that others could already pick up that changes
> and test them, which hopefully will improve the code quality.

the more pragmatic approach is to "hide" the qt6 variant behind ifdefs.

in fact, the introduction of a respective configure feature (so you
would #if QT_CONFIG(qt6)) has been on the table for quite a while
already, but nobody pushed for it yet, presumably because we haven't
officially started qt6 yet.

note that the qt(core) code is already full of QT_VERSION_CHECK(6,0,0)
which does effectively the same, but to activate it you would need to
change .qmake.conf instead of just calling configure -qt6.