[Development] Qt 3D Maintainership

Svenn-Arne Dragly svenn-arne.dragly at qt.io
Tue Oct 2 17:01:06 CEST 2018

Hi all,

I'd also like to say a big thank you for all the work you have put into
Qt 3D. It is a great graphics API and is getting better with each
release. I would be more than happy to be a co-maintainer of Qt 3D
Render and will also help out with Qt 3D Core and the other modules.

I agree with Laszlo that it is a good idea to sync up on the future of
Qt 3D and the Qt graphics stack. We need a clear vision of what the
scope of Qt 3D should be and how we should handle existing and new
features that fall both inside and outside of this scope. As we add
support for more backends, we also need to decide on how much of the
underlying graphics API, such as OpenGL flags, should be abstracted
away. The transition to Qt 6 is a good opportunity to make some changes
in this area.

It will be great to have a unified 2D-3D engine that can run on top of
the different graphics backends and be a flexible foundation for both Qt
Quick's Scene Graph, Qt 3D Studio, and other modules like Qt Charts and
Qt Data Visualization.

Cheers,
Svenn-Arne