[Development] Why on Linux using FreeType engine fonts are rendered in 72 dpi instead of Screen DPI?

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Wed Oct 17 19:23:23 CEST 2018

On Mittwoch, 17. Oktober 2018 19:10:45 CEST Tomasz Olszak wrote:
> Could you please try example I sent on Linux and explain why font size
> doesn't match rectangle size? Maybe the ft font engine has bug?

Try putting a capital Å or any other capital with accents in your example, and
you will see that it fits snugly.

Though it should be noted fonts are a bit inconsistent in what they consider
their heights, some use the capital-height as their height, some use the
maximum including accents. I believe we normally always render text with the
leading on top, so there is room for all the Latin-1 characters and the
results are always the same.

'Allan