[Development] QUIP 12: Code of Conduct

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Wed Oct 24 19:49:28 CEST 2018

Thank you Edward.

I am doing that, but "out loud" if you will, on this group. I am asking questions and getting answers (you're the first to actually answer any of my questions).

I am committed to having a free and inclusive community, but with Linux Kernel just having gone through this, and the fall-out still on going, I personally would have us wait to see how that turns out before proceeding with our own. I would like to learn from their mistakes.

So far (but after your email was written) I replied with concerns about
1) the Committee,
-- the allocation of seats to specific birth demographics
-- the politics of said committee
---- members having to embrace the politics of the said committee.
-- the personal weight of members being affected by their contributions, in terms of testimony or punishment.
2) having received a message from someone who was pro-CoC, but whose message clearly in violation of the CoC.
-- If that is acceptable, then why have a CoC at all?

I'm asking a lot of questions and reading all the answers. I appreciate your substantive reply.

Here's an operable suggestion: Choose the committee members at random, per each incident, from the list active users at random. Keep choosing until 3 users have indicated they would participate. That would be the best way to avoid most of the concerns I questioned about.