[Development] QUIP 12: Code of Conduct

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Thu Oct 25 17:38:43 CEST 2018

> On 25 Oct 2018, at 16:43, Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com> wrote:
> Next there is a notion of the CoC being applied to profanity. I am also against this. This would violate my right to free speech, and it would be so vague to be unenforceable.

Oh dear.

With your "right to free speech" you probably refer to the first amendment of the United States Constitution.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The Qt Community is not the US Congress (sadly, perhaps) or some instituation legimized by the US Congress. We can therefore not “violate your right to free speech”. Also, the right to free speech does not imply an obligation for any- or everyone to listen to your speech, no matter the opinions or density of profanities.

A community of people can not only decide not to listen, it can also easily restrict your freedom of speech.

Volker